Sunday, November 8, 2015

Some gaming...

In addition to getting some models painted this week, I also got some gaming in last night, which is always a good thing. We played Song of Blades & Heroes on my buddy's new Secret Weapon Miniatures "Tablescapes" tiles. The table was awesome! I really liked it, and of course it is now just a matter of time until I break down and buy one of my own... although I have stockpiled scratch-building supplies like styrofoam, balsa wood, and foam core for years thinking I would custom build my own table tiles. What's a man to do? This table looks great and is so convenient.... hmm...

Unfortunately I thought we were playing Frostgrave so I had spent time during the day agonizing over a warband roster for that game. I was the last to arrive though, and by the time I got there everyone was in the mood to play Song instead... grr...

So I quickly built a warband for that game using the models I brought and we got stuck in.

We didn't introduce any of the new spells or the funky initiative changes, just stuck with the standard turnover rules from basic SOBH and transfix/magic missile for spells.

We did use some of the traits from the advanced rules, including the weapon and armor rules. Personally, I didn't like them. Maybe I'm just not used to them... I can see why people would want them, but the reason I like SOBH was because of the level of abstraction and how easy the rules were. By adding new nuances to the rules, I think they are losing their niche! Oh well, maybe they'll grow on me.

Anyway, the game was fun and ended up being pretty close, so I guess the points values of the troops/traits from basic and advanced are not too imbalanced.

Here are some in-game shots. They don't really do the table justice, it's a work of art!





One thing I definitely learned is that a 4x4 table is not necessary if you are packing it with terrain. It took forever for us to engage with each other. I think I will try 3x3 or even less and see how those games go.

Looks like we might meet up again in a couple of weeks. November is all about making up for lost time from September and October, woohoo!


1 comment:

  1. The table is great. Modular 1x1 pieces. It looks good with just primer and two colors dry bushed on.

    ReplyDelete