I did work on a couple of terrain odds and ends. For the past few years most of the gaming I had done was focused on a "Lustria" setting from the Warhammer Fantasy background. In other words... Lots of jungle and Aztec/Inca/Mayan ruins. Some day I'll put some pics up. But at the beginning of this year I packed it all up and have been trying to build up some North American Wilderness terrain for the French & Indian War.
Some of this just involved sprucing up old pieces I already had. I bought 2 these Pegasus log cabins a while back and never painted the window frames. I've now added a bunch more to the group and painted the frames.
Some of the cabins are smaller than others... if you are buying these Pegasus kits to use with 28mm models (they are nominally 1/72) make sure to get the "Log Houses" kit instead of the "Farm Houses" kit! The farm houses are the smaller ones. My favorite one is the two-story cabin, which is sold separately. The others come in packs of 2.
Still debating whether I should base them up with some yards, or leave them as-is and do any yards from loose wall/field pieces when we set up the table.
Speaking of fields, I've had a minor obsession with corn fields this week. I finished reading "Death or Victory" and it was the first book I've read on the Quebec campaign that really described the type of terrain the Plains of Abraham consisted of. It was NOT just a big open plain!
One of the things mentioned over and over again was how the Canadians and Indians were constantly taking pot shots from the cover along the flanks of the British line. This included houses, woods, bushes, and..... you guessed it, Corn Fields!
I do not have any scale corn fields, so I set about looking for some... shopping for miniatures, books, and terrain online is my favorite hobby-within-a-hobby!
Unfortunately, it seems like the scale corn fields produced for model train layouts are ridiculously expensive - something around 30 stalks for 10 bucks. Considering that you need hundreds of stalks to make a decent field, this does not seem feasible.
I then started researching how I can scratchbuild some... but unfortunately it looks like any method of producing decently realistic looking corn stalks is extremely time consuming and labor intensive.
This is no good at all!
In the end I think I am going to have to "wing it" and just have a very abstract representation of the corn stalks, or call them generic crop fields. Below is a pic of some trial pieces of this "not corn." Hopefully it will look good once there are a few hundred of them in rows. These were easy and cheap enough to make that I can probably get to that number.
I'll definitely have to tone down the color somehow... the color on the web site did not look as garish as it does in person and in these pics!