Friday, September 30, 2016

Well it's the last day of the month and I'm happy to say I met my quota this month, with an extra model to boot. And it's a good thing too - with this Mordheim campaign coming up, and one of my buddies being a slacker who does not paint his own models, there's not a lot of time to spare!

After starting my Norse warband last month, I wanted to start the Nurgle troops this month. Now I've got a small group of freshly painted troops for each warband, and I can spend next month finishing off both warbands. The only model I'm concerned about is the Plague Cart (he's running a Carnival of Chaos list). I don't have a great model for it, and I'm concerned that any model I do use is going to be a pain to get assembled/painted! Oh well that's next month's problem...

For now - here's the start to the Nurgle warband.

First up, the leader:





I ended up not washing his robes because I thought the color was a bit darker than I'd like and didn't want to have to start over from square one after the wash. I did use washes with the other troops though, so they'd be in a different painting style than the Norse who are all done with layering.

Here are the "Tainted." These two are heroes. I am not sticking with the "carnival" theme for the look of the warband, but I did want to stick to the idea that these guys are diseased and rotting (they can give you Nurgle's Rot in the campaign! Eew!). The fluff for these guys says they are usually hooded to mask their disfigured rotting faces, so I dug through the lead pile to find something appropriate... Although I tried to stick with GW models for the warband, I couldn't pass these up, they were too perfect. Two cultists from the last Frostgrave expansion. I still haven't painted any up for Frostgrave, but some day!







I think I need to hit them with some more dullcote, there still appears to be some glossiness in the folds of their robes that I didn't notice until I saw the photos.

Here are some more henchmen - a group of Brethren. Just your basic run-of-the-mill Chaos Marauders. I used mostly Army Painter washes on these guys but I was disappointed with the Flesh Wash. I originally started using these AP washes because I heard that the Strong Tone wash was a good substitute for the old Devlan Mud GW wash (it is! It's awesome!). I'm still mad at GW for discontinuing that wash... but Strong Tone AP wash is an almost perfect substitute.












Anyway - I bought the whole set of AP washes, and they are good - however I noticed on these guys that the flesh wash tends to dry glossier than the rest. This is bad!

I have the newer GW washes too; I should use them more, they're great.

Finally - here are the last of the Nurgle troops I painted this month: the Nurglings!









You have no limit on the number of Nurglings you can take in a Carnival of Chaos Mordheim warband (other than your total warband size limit), so I might have to paint up a few more of these.

Next month, I need to work on the two Brutes (the other hero choices), the Plaguebearers, and a couple more henchmen. Also gotta go back to my Norse and do a few more henchmen.

On top of that... terrain!!! So many terrain projects I'd like to complete in time for the campaign! But the warbands have to be the priority; after all, I DO have a ton of jungle terrain from the last Lustria campaign we played.


No comments:

Post a Comment