Sunday, March 26, 2017

Thaw of the Lich Lord 2

Got in our second game of the Thaw of the Lich Lord campaign this weekend...

I had been working on some terrain for it for several weeks on and off, and today I did a trial layout to see how it was shaping up. My 11 year old son happened to see it, and he is not quite as much of a wargaming perfectionist as I am! So, funny enough, he said "it looks done to me, can't we play?"

Who am I to say no!

Here is the layout. The frozen river itself is a 3x3 gaming mat from UrbanMatz.







The shoreline of the river is made from 2" foam, covered in Lemax cobblestone and brick pattern vinyl sheeting that is always sold with Christmas houses in Michael's.

The boats are a combination of toy boats by Playmobil, Lemax Christmas decorations, and actual wargaming boat models by Games of War. There is also a boat in there from the new Games Workshop Laketown House terrain set.

I had planned on doing rigging and sails for the large ship, and detailing it a little more. The cleats are not even painted yet! I also wanted to add some more hardware. Oh well, all in time. It was good enough to get a game in with!

We set up on our opposite shorelines and got ready for battle. In this scenario, you can fall and slip on the ice if you move too fast - and in turn 3, an enemy wizard (a servant of the Lich Lord!) climbs up from below deck on the large ship carrying some serious loot.







We seemed to be following the same basic playbook on this one; our Wizards, Apprentices, and Archers took cover in the buildings lining the river, while our Treasure Hunters and Thieves took their chances on the ice! We also sent in our various summoned animals, zombies, and imps.



Unfortunately for him, I got a lucky roll in turn 2 and landed a critical hit on his Wizard with a Bone Dart!



That's one dead wizard.

He had kept another model in front of his Wizard to avoid this, but an intervening model only counts as "+1" cover. After this, he got a bit more conservative and took heavy cover inside a building with his apprentice!







Before long he had returned the favor and killed my Apprentice.

We each got control of 2 pieces of treasure... unfortunately for him (again), the only monsters that popped out did so in his deployment zone! There were 2 armored skeletons looking for trouble:



He dispatched them easy enough though.

We both got close to the ship just as the Lich's servant was about to appear.





He started to make a Beeline for the board edge, but my Treasure Hunters caught him.



After killing the Lich's servant, there was a big fight inside one of the boats as we struggled to take control of the big treasure piece.



I made it off the board with it though. His Knight was almost able to stop him, but he slipped and fell on the ice!



He gave me a scare as an Imp I had forgotten about headed right for my Wizard! Not worrying about his reputation, my Wizard cast "Leap" and flew right off the board to fight another day.



With no Wizard to hunt, the Imp tried to keep my Thief from getting off the board with treasure.



Luckily, my Ranger was able to get over there and help him out in time before he got killed.



All in all, a solid victory for my Necromancer, as I got off the board with 2 treasure pieces and the Lich's big loot pile. It was a Pyrrhic victory though...

My son only ended up with one casualty:



But look at my dead pile!



I used an Elixir of Life to keep from having to roll for the Apprentice, and lost one Treasure Hunter out of the others.

I think it's time for these guys to get some names! We've played several games with these warbands now, so they deserve proper names instead of just "Wizard, Apprentice, Purple Shirt guy, etc" haha...




4 comments:

  1. Did you scribe all that onto the terrain? Or is that purchased terrain. You game me an idea! Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No it's a flexible vinyl sheet you can buy. I glued it to the foam with liquid nails and painted. Saved me the time of scribing all the patterns in the foam! I'll show some work in progress shots when I tally up my models and terrain done this month.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing work on the board. Looks very cinematic and epic ! Reminds of Treasure Island on ice LOL.
    How are you liking Frostgrave vs Mordheim etc ? Looks like you're having fun with it !

    ReplyDelete