Sunday, February 8, 2015

Sunday I actually got to do some painting...

I have been working on 8 troupes de la marine for a few weeks and decided to try something a bit different today.

My usual painting style is pretty subdued, and although I like the results I get when I look at the models up close I always think they look like muted blobs on the table or in the display case!

On top of that, I have been looking for ways to paint more quickly for quite a while. Years in fact. A long time ago I just stopped trying to get "better" and started trying to get "quicker."

So, as I stared at my little marines I figured I would try something crazy and NOT cover them with any washes or glazes. I had already finished doing my layered highlights on them, and the next step I would usually do would be a series of washes to bring everything back together. At times, I then end up highlighting again, but it depends on how things look after the wash.

But in this case, I felt, what the heck I'll just leave them and see if the highlights (which look way too drastic to me up close) can "work" at normal viewing distance.

So far I'm pretty happy with the results. I think I would have been a but more careful on certain parts of them had I planned on not doing the washes (I always think "oh well this will not be too noticeable after the wash goes on!"), but overall they are OK. One added advantage of this is that it was an entire step removed from the painting process! I can get used to this...

The one thing that I am really not liking is the flesh on the leader. I did use a wash on the flesh and the guns, and somehow he ended up much darker than the rest. I might have go back and highlight him again.

I included a couple of shots of an Indian I had painted in my normal way to compare - what do you think?

The basing scheme on my Indians and Irregulars is a made up of tea and coffee! I think it does a good job of looking like the dead leaves and detritus that would be on a forest floor. It looks better than flock for sure.

I am doing the regulars in a standard green flock with some tufts, to differentiate them.

At some point I'll post some pics of all the FIW troops so far.


  1. Good luck with your new blog, I have found the discipline of blogging stuff helps reduce the lead mountain quite well. If you add a figure count in the border you can keep up a public list of your figs in vs figs painted, so if the mountain gets bigger the world knows ! Also a follow gadget would be good to help people keep coming back. Most of all enjoy.
    Regards, Ken

  2. I like what you're doing for the troupes. It looks like you should be getting the effect you're shooting for. They seem to 'pop' and stand out. I see little detail lost, so if it's saving time and you think you can recreate that style even better I say go for it ! They'll catch some eyes on the tabletop

  3. The tea idea is brilliant; consider the idea stolen.

  4. They look great. Those bases are superb!

    A normal followers gadget would be good (I don't use follow by email ones as I get more than enough emails). Go to "add a gadget" and instead of using the one in "basics" click on "more gadgets" and scroll to the bottom.. This means you don't get tied up with Google + which I distrust!

  5. You have done a cracking job on these.

    Your new painting style is similar to mine. I use lots of highlights, then just use my washes carefully, applying it to muskets etc to bring the tones down and make it look darker. I add small amounts of wash to the deep shadows and creases too. For flesh I usually paint on a fleshy base colour, apply a flesh wash (from GW) then highlight it when that is all dry- usually with the base colour mixed with a lighter flesh colour. It works really well.